Top 10 SAP testing and automation tools
Who uses SAP testing tools?
The profiles of users working with SAP testing tools vary significantly. Users include:
- Testers working at the Center of Excellence for Testing (CoE) who specialize in SAP testing
- Professionals with strong testing skills and competence with testing tools
- Those familiar with SAP who want to run realistic tests ensuring that correct business processes are running. In this case, the company’s stakeholders must work with testers to ensure that tests replicate actual SAP use
Generally, SAP tests are conducted when:
- Deploying a new app
- Customizing an app/website
- Changing SAP components
- Upgrading to a new SAP version
- Migrating to SAP HANA or the Cloud
Why use SAP testing tools?
SAP applications cannot fail in production. They are a vital element of many business-critical operations. The impact of failure can be crippling:
- Failure of business-critical apps preventing the reliability of other critical apps in production
- Damage to the backbone of the business. Many business operations depend directly on SAP apps to run smoothly
- Productivity delays for staff and customers alike, resulting in low satisfaction levels for each
- Revenue loss due to degraded user/customer experience
SAP systems and apps are expected to perform well across all load levels.
What is the difference between a standard testing tool and an SAP testing tool?
SAP systems rely on specific modern and legacy technologies that must be supported by testing tools. Similarly, user scenarios are directly dependent on these technologies, so SAP testing tools must be able to reproduce them realistically.
For example, the old SAP ECC/SAP ERP version, which is still widely used/tested, is based on a proprietary technology called SAP GUI. For a testing tool to reproduce the behavior of SAP GUI users, it has to support the SAP GUI protocol.
What are the different types of SAP testing tools?
SAP Functional Testing Tools
The functional test, also known as the automated test, is designed to validate whether a specific function of the SAP application works as defined in the specification sheet.
What are the main features of SAP functional testing tools?
- Creates testing scenarios that simulate user activity
- Performs automated tests as part of Continuous Integration (CI) effort
- Analyzes test results and identifies those which were unsuccessful
By conducting these tests in advance of implementation, you can ensure that the SAP execution will go smoothly and your app(s) will function as expected.
What are the main criteria for choosing one SAP testing tool over another?
- Technologies supported by the SAP test tool should include WinGUI, Netweaver, and Fiori 2.0
- The tool must let you design/update test cases quickly
- When testing between versions, it must be able to identify/display critical regression
- Test maintenance ease (because that’s where testers spend most of their time) – identification/optimization of test coverage
SAP Performance Testing Tools
What are the main features of SAP performance testing tools?
- Supported test script design
- Management of app variables to reproduce a variety of use cases
- Load and performance test deployment with accurate reproduction of real loads/user numbers
- Ability to perform scaled load tests by generating up to several thousand virtual users. This can be a technical challenge, especially when you test SAP GUI because the reproduction of an SAP GUI session may require additional hardware resources
- Option to reserve the load test infrastructure so that it’s available at the time of testing
- Monitoring the SAP app and collecting performance metrics while the app is being tested – and then using that data to analyze the test
These features help ensure that all changes within the SAP environment (new implementations, functionality, migrations, custom development, etc.) do not impact users during production deployment.
What are the main criteria for choosing one SAP performance testing tool over another?
- Ability to accurately record SAP user paths/scenarios
- Potential to define granular app variables in testing
- Ability to update test scripts easily/quickly when the app changes
- Possibility to increase testing to thousands of virtual users
- The option to generate test reports that help identify bottlenecks
How to choose the perfect tool for your needs
When choosing an SAP testing tool for your project, you must ask the right questions:
- Is the SAP testing solution certified for SAP?
- Can the tool support all SAP test use cases (Netweaver, Fiori, SAP GUI, SAP HANA, etc.)?
- Can the SAP performance testing tool integrate with other tools used to test/deploy SAP applications? In particular, functional test tools that reuse test scripts for performance?
- Can the testing tool support apps other than SAP so that you can also use it for all of your application testing needs?
Ranking of SAP testing tools
SAP Functional Testing Tools
1. Tricentis Tosca
Tricentis Tosca enables efficient testing for many SAP applications such as S/4HANA, Concur, Hybris, SuccessFactors, and Ariba, including many other core applications and protocols. It allows testing from any of the user, API, or mobile interface. Tricentis Tosca also offers efficient test management to optimize test coverage.
- Support for many SAP applications
- Easy updates to test scripts
- Testing from the user interface and API
Tricentis Tosca and NeoLoad work together:
Integrated with NeoLoad, Tricentis Tosca converts its functional test resources into one-click performance tests in NeoLoad.
2. Worksoft certify
Description: Worksoft Certify is the leading provider of SAP functional testing. It can test any SAP business process, including the most complex. It automates functional testing solutions to ensure the quality of end-to-end business processes. Worksoft Certify also offers the ability to run unit/regression tests as well as daily high-speed tests. Main features:
- Manages all SAP processes
- Possible automation of functional tests
- Wide variety of scripts supported
Worksoft Certify and NeoLoad work together: NeoLoad is the only performance testing platform on the market that offers off-the-shelf integration with Worksoft Certify to reuse functional test scripts for performance testing.
3. IBM Rational Functional Tester
Description:Rational Performance Tester supports HTTP, SAP, Siebel, SIP, TCP Socket, and Citrix app technologies. It lets you make visual montages using screenshots to represent test actions; integrates with other IBM software development tools to provide complete solutions. This tool easily adapts to frequent changes in the user interface and avoids increased maintenance costs while making it easier to update scripts.
- Codeless scripting
- Automatically detects data entered during test recording
- Automatically generates test data
Description: Ranorex is an automated testing solution that adapts to many environments, including SAP. It lets you perform tests without scripts using a recorder – providing a level of adaptability based on the proficiency of the tester. It also identifies app elements that can be tested via automation. Main features:
- Allows for the testing of GUI and code
- Support for SAP and a wide range of technologies (Windows, NET, Java and other web and mobile technologies
- Integrates with Continuous Integration pipelines
Ranorex and NeoLoad work together: Ranorex easily integrates with the most common testing and test management tools, such as NeoLoad, but not for SAP testing at the moment.
5. Micro Focus Unified Functional Testing (UFT)
Description: Micro Focus Unified Functional Testing offers a wide range of functionality to support automated functional testing for many applications. In particular, you can set up tests for API and web services. It can integrate with Micro Focus Application Lifecycle Management (ALM), Micro Focus Quality Center, and Micro Focus Service Virtualization for more complete services. Micro Focus UFT can also support multiple browsers – Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer.
- Support for SAP and other protocols
- Performs scaling tests
- Integrates with a continuous integration process
SAP Performance testing tools
6. LoadRunner and Performance Center
LoadRunner is the standard software for legacy load testing. Beyond SAP, this tool can test a wide range of applications, including the latest web/mobile technologies, ERP, and CRM apps. Tests are run by a controller (using the created scripts) or virtual users to run scheduled tests based on specific test parameters (test duration, number of virtual users, etc.).
- Generates virtual users capable of performing stressful actions in the app. For example, you can create scripts that create a series of activities like login, app navigation, and program exit
- Analyzes the results of a test to identify performance bottlenecks
Compared to NeoLoad:
NeoLoad is the most popular alternative to LoadRunner. NeoLoad offers a faster test design and automated script maintenance, unlike LoadRunner. Also, NeoLoad’s ability to innovate is significantly higher than that of LoadRunner’s.
NeoLoad is the new standard for SAP load testing. It makes it easy to create complex test scripts for any SAP app, including SAP GUI, web, Fiori, and other SAP apps. Beyond SAP apps, NeoLoad is also the best tool for testing modern web/mobile applications. NeoLoad is available in any combination of cloud/on-premise infrastructure.
- NeoLoad provides a performance trend report for performance testing without regression
- Ability to reserve/schedule load test infrastructure
- Simple integration into the Continuous Integration pipeline
8. IBM Rational Performance Tester
IBM Rational Performance Tester lets you create test scripts with the visual editor as well as with Java code. It integrates seamlessly with other IBM software development tools, like IBM Urban code. Testing the tests generated by IBM Rational Performance Tester allows testers to identify root causes of app performance issues.
- Generates real-time reports and lets you create performance trend charts
- Beyond SAP testing, it supports load testing for a wide range of technologies/apps
Compared to NeoLoad:
IBM Rational Performance Tester requires highly qualified personnel to manage the testing process, and IBM has a lower level of innovation than that of NeoLoad.
9. Silk Performer
Available onsite or as a SaaS, Silk Performer lets you test loads for a wide variety of protocols/apps such as SAP.
- Creates realistic tests
- Generates loads from the cloud
- Manually identifies performance bottlenecks
Compared to NeoLoad:
NeoLoad offers significantly more value for money than Silk Performer.
Apache JMeter is an open source Apache project used as a load testing tool. It’s a popular performance testing tool that is used exclusively for testing web apps.
- Graphical interface makes scripting easier
- Creates complex scripts
- Results provided in graphical and statistical formats
Compared to NeoLoad:
JMeter can only be used to test web apps and cannot test existing apps such as SAP GUI. It’s also only available on site.